- 1 Cup of Almonds (soaked in cold water over night)
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1 Teaspoon of Sweetener (optional)
Here’s what to do:
- Soak the almonds over night or for 8 hours.
- Rinse the almonds and throw away the water.
- Place almonds in blender and add 3 cups of cold water. Blend until you get a white “milky” solution.
- Using a cheese-cloth, strain the milk (I used the instrument on the picture, this is what we use in Venezuela to filter coffee..it works just fine!); place cloth over a deep bowl and pour the almond milk; the liquid should go through and the cloth should retain the leftover shredded almonds. Squeeze out as much milk as possible.
- Place in sealed container and refrigerate!
With the leftover shredded almonds you can make Almond Flour:
- Place the shredded almonds in the oven at 180 C for about 20 minutes, until dry and toasted.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Place in blender and shred for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until flour consistency is achieved!
Compared to cow milk, almond milk is a much healthier choice! Give it a try and introduce it in your everyday diet!
One question I get asked all the time is “if I drink almond milk?” The answer is YES! Most of the time I prefer drinking almond milk just because of it’s overall nutritional value! It’s something I consider to be a really Healthy Switch. Almond Milk is high in a number of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin E, magnesium, calcium, iron, among others, while at the same time being low on calories! A cup of almond milk contains about 40 calories, only 3 grams of (healthy) fats (vs 8 grams in regular milk), and about 3 grams of carbs. Until Recently, I had NOT found almond milk at the supermarkets. I had found Almond DRINKS, which when looking at the nutritional value, you could easily see that each cup, though it was only about 50 calories, it had almost 10 grams of carbs/sugars! This is NOT a healthier option than regular milk….You want the nutritional info to look like that in the picture! So if, you are in Greece, look out for this brand of Almond Milk. When you check the Nutritional Info in the back you will see that it is low calorie, low carb and low fat…in other words, Almond Milk! If you prefer to make your own at some, it is super easy! Just Click here!
xoxo, Yoggi B.